Carroll County - Social Services

Social Services (DSS)
605-8 Pine Street
Hillsville, VA 24343
(276) 730-3130
Fax:  (276) 730-3135

The Virginia Department of Social Services provides an online way to receive applications and renewals over the internet 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!  Applications can be received by the local agency for S.N.A.P. (formerly known as Food Stamps), Heating and Cooling Assistance, Medicaid, T.A.N.F. and Child Day Care services using the CommonHelp Customer Portal.  Click on the COMMONHELP Banner in the left menu for assistance.

The Local BOARD of SOCIAL SERVICES of Carroll County holds their REGULAR Board Meetings on the THIRD TUESDAY of each Month unless otherwise posted.  Board Meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. and will be held in the Conference Room of The Department of Social Services.

Carroll County Social Services is a group of well trained professional and semi professional individuals responsible for the administration of services and benefits to the citizens as provided by various federal, state, and local policies and regulations based on the needs and available resources of the individuals and or families within the confines of available funding.

An effective social service and public assistance system is designed to meet the basic needs of citizens who cannot help themselves.  The system shall provide services within the needy citizen’s home community and within and environment that promotes family stability, wherever possible.  These services will be designed to assist these citizens to become as self-sufficient and self-supporting as their own capabilities permit.  To accomplish these goals, the system must assure that the resources which the citizens of the Commonwealth provide for these services are used practically, efficiently and effectively. The list of services we provide is available by clicking the banner in the left menu “DSS Services”.

The Carroll County Department of Social Services strives to prevent abuse and neglect of the citizens of Carroll County. Should you suspect abuse or neglect you may report such by calling our office. After hours emergency calls may be placed by calling the Carroll County Sheriffs Office at 911, or 276-728-4146, and ask that an on call child/adult protective services worker contact you or the Virginia Department of Social Services TOLL FREE Child Abuse and Neglect Hotline (1-800-552-7096)

In accordance with the Federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political belief, or disability..

To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice) or (202) 720 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer