Erosion and Sediment

Tim Carpenter
E & S Inspector/Plan Reviewer
605-1 Pine Street
Hillsville, VA 24343
276.730.3019 - office
276.733.1036 - cell

The office of Erosion & Sediment Control Inspector/Plan Review is responsible for approval of submitted E&S plans before any land-disturbing activity may take place. It is also responsible for inspections and enforcement of the Virginia Erosion & Sediment Control Laws and Regulations.

This office is currently located in the Governmental Complex in the C Wing

Virginia State Law requires any land owner wishing to disturb more than 10,000 square feet of soil must first submit to the local Plan Approving Authority an Erosion & Sediment Control Plan. Once the plan has been approved a land-disturbing permit may be issued. For the construction of a single family residence an Agreement in lieu of an E&S plan may be substituted. Where the land-disturbing activity is less than 10,000 square feet but is for the construction of a single family residence in a residential subdivision an E&S plan must still be submitted or an Agreement in lieu of can be substituted.

State law does allow civil penalties to be assessed against anyone who performs a regulated land-disturbing activity without the proper requirements or permits. If you are not sure of the requirements or have any questions pertaining to the E&S laws and regulations please call the office of Erosion & Sediment Control.

It is the responsibility of the land owner to make sure all required local, state and federal permits that may be required have been obtained before any land-disturbance may take place.

If the Plan Approving Authority determines that an Agreement in lieu of an E&S plan is satisfactory for the land-disturbance a simple form must be filled out and an administrative fee of $50.00 plus tax are all that are required for the land-disturbing permit to be issued.

If the Plan Approving Authority determines that an approved Erosion & Sediment Control Plan be submitted. The applicant must obtain written approval from the Plan Approving Authority stating the submitted E&S plan has been approved. The applicant must then submit to the Plan Approving Authority the name and certification number of a Responsible Land Disturber (RLD). This will be the person in charge of all E&S measures during the land-disturbing project. Carroll County also requires an administrative fee of $100.00 plus $25.00 per acre over 1 acre at 1% tax and a surety of $2500.00 per acre of disturbance in the form of a cash escrow, bond or an irrevocable letter of credit. Once the above criteria have been met a land-disturbing permit can be issued.

Notice to all Excavators, Developers, Contractors, Home Builders.

The office of the Erosion & Sediment Control Inspector requests a pre-construction conference before any land-disturbance take place. This is to help understand your plans of how and when certain E&S measures will be implemented as the project starts and progresses.

In addition to an Erosion & Sediment Control Plan, your project may require coverage under the Virginia Stormwater Management Program (VSMP) Construction General Permit. The VSMP Permit Regulations require owners/operators of construction activities (those sites or common plans of development or sale that will result in the disturbance of one or more acres of total land area) to obtain coverage under the General Permit for Discharges of Stormwater from Construction Activities.

Those grading on the site must also hold a Responsible Land Disturber (RLD) certification.

These programs are administered by Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ).

If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Carroll County Erosion & Sediment Control Office at 276.730.3019 or the Department of Environmental Quality at (276) 676-4800.